Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What it Means to Say "Week 4"


Party Down at Reed Hall


- Here's what I did this week:


  • Failed paper one due to the lack of an important component

  • Read Shiloh and A Party Down at the Square

  • Learned about style and symbol through the medium of a powerpoint presentation

  • Watched multiple youtube videos from Smoke Signals

  • Spent some time at the Anything Else Cafe

- Here's what I learned this week:



  • Pay attention to detail when submitting assignments (especially papers)!

  • Don't think so hard about being creative - just let it flow out

  • Ask questions if confused

  • Read things more than once if confused (and if they are disliked - this is usually due to the confusion)

  • Knowing the setting of a story makes all the difference in understanding it

  • One does not always have to like the style of a work, but it helps to appreciate and understand it more when a background knowledge of the author is gained

  • Symbolism can be useful and enticing in stories

- Here's how I felt about it:



  • I gotta admit I wasn't too happy about my score but that's what I deserved for being a dumb dumb!

  • A Party Down at the Square was so fascinating and yet infuriating all at once. I didn't fully understand it until after reading it a couple times, also. I think the fact that I was so worked up over the story, the events unfolding within it, and the characters' reactions made me gain a sort of fascination about it

  • Being a Native American myself I thought I would enjoy the Smoke Signals videos and What it Means to Say Arizona but I did not. I found myself mainly just confused at them most of the time

  • I thought the information on style and symbol did not exactly prepare me enough for the Native American work and videos but it was beneficial, nonetheless. Now when looking at pieces of literature I marvel at how styles differ between authors and how obvious some authors are at their style.

  • The information on setting really helped make a difference in understanding the works and showed how very important even setting can be in a story

  • I thought having the discussion forum at the Anything Else Cafe helped make things a lot easier in having only one forum to concern myself with. It was also a nice change of scenery ; )


<3

1 comment: