Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How to Tell a True "Week Two" Story


Prologue and Tale of "Week Two"

- The activities I took part in and accomplished during week two were not only enjoyable but furthered my knowledge of the wide world of literature. We took part in our first journal entry (aka free-write) of the semester, "considered" characterization and "explored" points of view through a talking powerpoint, read the comical tale (and even longer prologue) of The Wife of Bath, Died and Gone to Vegas, and my personal favorite, How to Tell a True War Story. In addition to those things, we watched a touching youtube video relating to How to Tell a True War Story called The Things They Carried. Adding to the mix our discussion forum submissions, replies, and praises, it resulted in being quite a busy week but ended on a very positive note. I would be lying if I said I did not learn anything.

Considering "Week Two"

- The question being answered here is what I learned during this week. In two short words: a lot. I learned that free-writing is just what it sounds like: FREE WRITING! I can write about anything and turn it into anything, without any type of structure or any sense if I so wish. I also got a head-start on a project that I am doing for my British Literature course. Thanks to The Wife of Bath I got some early reading done for my project on... The Wife of Bath! I also learned a lot about literature by reading How to Tell a War Story. I had never read a text like that ever before, and as much as I thought I would get offended or become disinterested in the text I didn't in the least. I also discovered that I was not particularly interested in Died and Gone to Vegas and of Chaucer impersonators; he's too hot to touch.

Exploring "Week Two"

- Although the amount of learning was large, it was very beneficial and eye-opening. I found myself enjoying the readings and assignments more than I thought I would and even telling others about them. I feel that my initial joy for literature has increased, especially after reading the "true" war story; for some reason it struck quite a chord within me. I not only thoroughly enjoyed the free-write but even more so the response to it from the professor. I liked her interest and reactions to our inner, scattered, and personal thoughts. Not only was reading the Chaucer tale a nice warm-up to my other assignment, but it was something I can honestly say I really enjoyed. Even though Chaucer is an ancient guy he sure can write some good stuff!


<3

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Chaucer can tell a tale. The Wife of Bath is my favorite because she is one strong character and I love her philosophy of life.
    Thanks for responding to my responses to your journal entries. It becomes an interactive journal.

    ReplyDelete